Many id card printers provided to groups and organizations are single sided id card printers. These printers are able to print single color or full color printing on one side of the card. Things go along smoothly for a while, and then someone from the organization decides that it would be nice to be able to make use of the back of the card since it is blank. Examples of things printed on the back of the card are company contact information, mission statements, organizational reference information or directions as to what to do if the card is lost and needs to be returned to the owner.
Many organizations use a simple process to print the needed information on the back of the card. In one of our earlier posts about dual sided id cards with a single sided printer, we explained that you could print the front side of the card and then flip the card over and print the back side of the card. Although that process will work, there is a smoother process if the information on the back of the card is always identical on each card. Here are the steps.
1. Purchase a black ribbon to use solely on the back of the card.
2. Design the card back in your id card software design program.
3. Install the black ribbon into the printer and verify the printer and software program are set up to print with a black ribbon.
4. Print the back side of the card for the number of badges needed.
5. Turn the printed cards and reposition them in the printer so that the front of the card can be printed.
6. Swap out the black print ribbon for a full color ribbon.
7. Print front side of the card with your design software and printer.
After checking the output hopper, you should find that the card has print on both the front and back side of the card which has been completed by your single side id card printer.
For additional hints and tips for your id card printing project, contact our experts toll free at 888-485-4696. We specialize in Fargo printers, Evolis printers, Magicard printers and CIM printers.