All Fargo ID-card printers rely on “Drivers” & “Firmware” from their manufacturer, HID Global. Periodically, you must update drivers & firmware to correct minor faults, enhance functionality, or maintain compatibility with new releases of Windows and other supported operating systems.
Fortunately, Fargo makes it easy to check for updates, and to install them, via a free utility program – the Fargo Workbench Utility. Follow these steps to make sure you have the latest versions for your printer, and to update drivers & firmware. (Note: you must be connected to the internet and have Windows privileges sufficient to install programs and drivers.)
Use the Fargo Workbench Utility to Update Drivers & Firmware
Install Fargo Workbench & Check for Updates
- Download and install the Fargo Workbench Utility. Make sure to select the option to launch the program at the conclusion of the installation.
- Within Workbench, select your printer in the drop-down box in the top-right of the screen. (Tip: if the printer is not present, ensure that it is powered on and in a ready state, then click the “refresh” icon to the right of the drop-down box and try again.)
- Select the “Update Manager” option on the menu bar (far-left choice).
- Click the link for “Check for Updates”.
- Download available updates to either the drivers or firmware. These appear in the middle of the screen, with a button to the right to download from the Fargo web-site.
- Once the downloads are complete, you can update drivers & firmware, one at a time. We recommend that you start with the driver update.
- In the update list, choose the driver update then click “apply update” to install.
- Note: installing new drivers may require removing the old drivers first, temporarily disconnecting the printer from your PC, and also re-booting your PC.
- Move on to updating the firmware. Select the appropriate options (in the lower part of the screen) for the firmware and the printers.
- Now you can click to apply the firmware upgrade. As the update is occurring, the printer’s front-panel LED lights will flash, or a message will appear models with the LCD information screen indicating the update progress. Additionally, there is a progress indicator within Workbench that will count up from 0% to 100%, indicating completion.
- When the update completes, the printer will do a “soft” restart on its own.
- After the restart, the printer will come to a normal “Ready” state (assuming you have cards and ribbon loaded).
Now that the printer’s required drivers & firmware are current, you should again verify the correct ribbon setting and resume printing.
For more detailed instructions, including screen shots, you can download a PDF of HID Fargo’s instructions here.
Need more info?
If the above tips don’t get you going again, never fear – we are ready to help. Just reach out to our ID-card experts toll-free at +1 888.485.4696 (US & Canada), or +1 704.535.5200 (elsewhere) for personalized support.
If you are operating a Mac computer and a Fargo HDP5000 ID card printer, you will need to download the Mac driver for the HDP5000 card printer. Standard drivers included with the printer are for PC computers. Directions from HID Global tech support for the Mac driver download are as follows:
1. Open your web browser and go to https://www.fargosupport.com/
2. On the HID support web page, select the HDP5000 card printer from the dropdown list.
3. After selecting the printer choice from the “What type of product?” list, a new list, “For what product”, will appear. Select HDP5000 from this list.
4. After selecting the HDP5000 printer, click the Go button.
5. Under the printer driver section, scroll down to the HDP5000 Macintosh Driver and click in it to download the driver.
6. Select the Save file and click the OK button. Your web browser settings will determine where the file is downloaded on your computer.
7. When the HDP5000 V220.127.116.11.pkg.zip finishes, you can close the Downloads window.
For more information about the Fargo HDP5000 printer or other Fargo printer models, contact our ID card experts at 888-485-4696.
To download the current printer driver, firmware and Workbench utility for the Fargo and Persona printers, visit the HID tech support website to obtain the most current version of the files. They can be downloaded here.
1. Under “What type of product” select “printer” from the drop down list.
2. Find your printer model by scrolling down the model options. Choose your printer model from the “For what product” list and click the “Go” button. If you have an older printer that is not on the list, choose “Other” at the bottom of the list. Be sure to choose the correct printer model.
3. Click on the Windows printer driver to download it.
4. Click the Save button.
5. Browse to the folder where you want to save the downloaded file and click the Save button.
6. Repeat the above steps to download the “Persona C30e Firmware Windows/Linux” and if it is not already installed on your system, download the “Workbench”.
7. Additional blog posts will be coming for installing the printer driver, firmware and workbench.
Current Fargo Printer Models:
Fargo Printer Systems
Fargo DTC 400e
Fargo DTC 550
All Fargo Printer Models
There are times when a print driver will need to be uninstalled from your photo ID card printer. An example of this may be when you are needing to update the printer driver and and software in your Fargo ID card printer.
Following are step by step instructions for how to uninstall the Fargo print driver.
1.To uninstall a printer driver, select Start, then menu and then control panel. Your path to the control panel may vary depending on your installation of Windows.
2. In the control panel, double click “Add or Remove Programs”.
3. Highlight the printer driver you wish to install and click the “Remove” button.
4. Verify that you are uninstalling the correct driver and click the “Yes” button.
5. When the uninstall has completed, click the “Finish” button.
The printer driver has now been removed from your PC.